Letters are sent to:
Elder Thomas Hesselgesser
Av Jorge Basadre 592 Oficina, 604A
Edificio Torre Azul
San Isidro
Lima 27
Peru

OR EMAIL:
thomas.hesselgesser@myldsmail.net

TJ can only email back his family but feel free to
email him and check the blog for his emails

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Email 9/29/2010


Once again sorry about the weird format! 


Hello everybody!

Well this week was pretty good a lot happened and there is no way I could possibly explain everything that has happened! but i will try. so first of all its good to hear that everyone is doing alright.  Dad sounds like you are working hard as awlays.  

At our devotional last night we learned about how to be a trabajando caballo or a work horse.
Anyways last wednsday after i emailed you like I said we went on a little mini tour of Lima.  When we went on this tour we did a couple of things.  The first thing we did was go to one of the most famouse surfing beaches in Peru.  Talk about torture right?  I personally didnt find that to be very fun but for some people it was the first time they had ever seen the ocean so that was cool for them.  The beach wasnt at all like Hawaii.  I was picturing a nice sandy beach but really it was just a pile of rocky dirt that leads straight into the ocean.  I took my camera but it died so i didnt get any pictures! i was very disappointed.  

Anyways after we went to the beach they took us to the Peruvian equivelent of the White house.There was like 50 armed guards standing out front so that was a little bit intimidating.  There was a lot of crazy people there too and a lot of people trying to get money from us because we were Americans.  So that made things a litte difficult.  I got to eat a burger and fries which was pretty good but not nearly as fatening or greasy as in the US.  

We had a guy come up to us and start confessing his sins because he thought we were priests or something so that was a little interesting.  There was a lot of shops we got to go around to
as well.  I discovered that Peruvian Churros are fantastic.  They fill them with Carmel in the middle and they are very Delicous.  I also got to buy some cool stuff for dirt cheep.  I spent the American equivilent of about 8 dollars and i got an awsome Argentina Soccer Jerzy, and a sweet llama hat with matching llama socks.  haha they are great.  

All the new missionaries came in last wednsday and thursday so its been fun showin them around.  The new Latinos decided to challenge us white kids at a soccer game on Friday to show their skill.  The problem is the biggest Latinos weight 120 at best and could probably bench press about 80 pounds.  Im not that big and i feel like a really big guy around them.  So they have tons of soccer skill but basically no athletisism.  So pretty much we killed them at soccer it was fun and it probably got way too intense for Missionary soccer but hey thats alright nobody got hurt.  

So have been having a hard time in my new district.  There are a some Elders that pretty much dont care about learning or studying or any of that jazz and they just ruin it for the rest of us.  Its difficult to feel the spirit because everybody is always arguing about something or just goofing around. So thats been my challenge for the week just trying to be patient and
find a way to keep the spirit even when its just chaos around me.  I dont know if i have ever told you about how the people here pronounce my name.  It is actually really funny. Most of the time the teachers or the Latinos will come up to me shake and shake my hand with a big smile.  but when their eyes make it to my name tag that smile quickly fades to a look of terror and then they usually spit out some throat gargling sound that is similar to when some one hawks a loogie.  So that has provided me with some entertainment.  Sometimes i wont tell them how to say it i will just make them try.  

I just realized today that I am two days short of going a full month without drinking any milk.  That is probably the longest i have ever gone in doing that.  I refuse to drink the milk because its room temperature and i have no idea what animal it comes from.  I also finally discovered that toilets do go left here.  Wierd... I still dont feel like im on the other side of the world but its settling more and more every day.  

I
cant even describe how excited i am to get out into the field.  I feel like i will progress so much faster once im out there speaking more and being forced to live my life all in spanish.  For now i am making strides in the language for sure.  Last night I did part of the translation for the new North American elders.  We had a memeber of the 70 at our devotional which is a big deal for here.  so that was fun to translate part of the devotional.  And mom you said something last night about the haircuts here.... Weell yes i got my head shaved to pretty short.  Why? I have no idea.  But whatever.  Everybody here has their hair like that.  
I got a new teacher this week as well. Unfortunately i dont have the one that i really liked anymore but thats alright the new one is good too.  His name is Hermano Casanova. He has never taught NorthAmericans before so his speaking is really fast which is good because im understanding more and more every day. He also comes and plays soccer with us like everyday which is pretty cool.  Lastly i have a scripture i would like you all  to look up its not very inspirational but its pretty funny I think.  Job 39: 9-10. Just look it up and tell me what you think.If you are going to send me any letters please send it to the following address because by the time it gets to where i am now i will be gone.

here is the address

     Elder Thomas Hesselgesser
Av Jorge Basadre 592 Oficina, 604A
         Edificio Torre Azul
           San Isidro
            Lima 27
             Peru

PS i like letters so feel free to write me any time. Emails and DearElder.com Always work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment